Blog
Menu

To vedbil.se

Guest book

Contact

Blog start

Carbon neutral farming

2008-09-28
Potato harvesting


2008-09-06
First Potatoes


2008-07-29
Bringing in the hay


2008-07-18
Stacking hay


2008-07-16
Haymaking


2008-07-14
Mowing


2008-07-06
Processing wood


2008-07-05
Gasifier meeting


2008-07-01
Potatoes growing


2008-05-25
Sowing


2008-05-24
Planting potatoes


2008-05-20
Fertilizing


2008-05-17
Potatoes and snow


2008-05-01
Harrowing


2008-03-27
Logging


2008-03-21
Logging-wagon


2008-03-18
Testing the tractor


2008-03-14
Wood gas tractor


England to Sweden with a wood gas car

2008-01-18
Repairing the producer


2008-01-16
Coming home!


2008-01-15
Repairing and resting


2008-01-14
Arriving to Sweden


2008-01-13
A day on the sea


2008-01-12
Getting on the ferry


2008-01-11
British tax


2008-01-10
Mounting carburettor


2008-01-09
Packing


2008-01-02
Convertion kit


2007-12-16
Winter testing


2007-11-24 - 05
Wood gas in UK


2007-11-15
Processing wood manually


2007-11-09 - 11
Constructing a Werner producer


2007-11-02
Visiting Werner


2007-10-31
Trip to Mantorp


2007-10-26 - 28
Repairing the reduction zone and car


2007-09-28
Guests from Roslagen

 

2008-05-24

Planting potatoes

I removed ash from the system and filled some coal this morning. The producer uses very small amounts of coal, which is nice because the maintenance-intervals become long. The black ash contains high amounts of uncombusted and unhealthy particles. Therefore I take care of it and put it in a fire to do a second combustion with more air added. In that way the particles get destroyed.

I borrowed my motherís cousinís potato-planter in the neighbor-village. I used vegetable oil to lubricate the feed-chains. It feels a lot better than using mineral oil that could poison the potatoes and ground.
We filled the planter with Matilda-potatoes and started the planting. I drove the tractor and Jane sat on the back of the potato-planter and corrected the feed-chains.

The small Matilda potatoes lasted very long. We made 24 rows of Matilda and the two bigger sacks of Sava almost lasted for two rows.

This is the first year that we use this field for potatoes and it will be exciting to see how it goes. There will surely be some weed, but worse is the wireworm. However, the wireworm makes most damage the second to third year.

We are now going to have some baked potatoes again and revel the look of todayís work.


Click here to see a film from the potatoe-planting.

The tractor used 20 litres wood / hour during the planting.

/Johan

<< Previous Next >>
© 2007-2008 Johan Linell